Lulu turned three at the end of February and when we asked her what kind of party she wanted she said a dinosaur party. Many other times before this she had said a Frozen party but this time she said a dinosaur party so we latched onto that idea and didn't ask again. The party date was set for the Sunday afternoon after we returned from holidays and it may have been a little ambitious to throw a party the day after returning from holidays. I would not recommend it. We had a list of decorations and food to make and it was all a little overwhelming until my mother-in-law offered to make the cake. Thank you! On the day a close friend came over and helped us ice cookies and cupcakes and make fairy bread - a lifesaver!
Dinosaur Party Decorations
For the party decorations we had the following:
Party hats for dinosaurs
- I bought a mega pack of dinosaurs from Kmart and the night before Nick and I made party hats for the dinosaurs.
- No time for home made bunting this year. Kmart had cheap bunting in great colours so I purchased the bunting, table cloths, straws and paper plates from there.
Blow up dinosaurs
- I spotted these on clearance at Kmart and snapped them up.
- from Woolworths
- I had bought some from Kmart but they couldn't stand the heat & popped. The ones from Woolies went the distance.
- I really don't like getting party bags full of lollies, so our party bags included a tiny tub of play-doh, a bag of prehistoric pizza shapes and a party blower. Kids have enough treats at the parties without filling party bags with lollies. Lulu helped put the party bags together.
Dinosaur Party Food
My mother-in-law had two reasonably sized dinosaur cookie cutters. We borrowed them and made:
- using this recipe
and this icing recipe
- white wings packet cupcakes with Dollar Sweets Sprinkles Magic Jurassic Blitz
- the cookie cutters fit neatly on the diagonal, making two dinosaur shapes for each piece of fairy bread. Unfortunately I do not have a photo but you can get the idea here
And there you have it - a Dinosaur Party. To be honest I was so focused on getting everything ready for the party, it wasn't until near the end, the relaxing time, when I realised we'd need to do a clean up! If one parties, one must clean up.