Newborn essential lists are always jam packed with millions of 'essential' newborn items, yet half the time you don't need any of it. With baby number one you get to try out a bunch of baby stuff from the must have list and eventually you find what works for you and your baby. I thought I might save you a little time (and a little money) and share a list of things we didn't need for our first baby and a list of things that I have stocked up on before our second baby was born.
Things you don’t need
Let's kick off this newborn essentials list with the list of what we DID NOT NEED for Lulu:
1. Small muslin wraps - babies need large wraps. Make sure your swaddle blanket is at least 120cmx120cm. This will ensure that the wrap lasts past the 4 week mark.
3. Dummies/pacifiers - Lulu refused to take a dummy. Wait until your baby is here and seems like they need one before purchasing a dummy.
Newborn Essentials you do need
The best thing about shopping for baby number two is that you already know what works and what doesn't. You can focus on the good stuff. The following is my list of newborn essentials that I purchased for my second baby:
2. Bonds Zip Wondersuit - these have a double zip so you don't need to get your baby completely naked to change their nappy. Great for winter babies. Zelda is far too small for hers just now but it won't be long...
3. Life factory glass baby bottles - BPA free, these bottles last much longer than their plastic counterparts
4. Boon grass drying racks - Bottles slip through your average drying rack, create a mess, end up not being cleaned properly. This grass is the way to go.
5. Medela Freestyle Electric Breast Pump - This pump is a bit of a splurge but when you are pumping 6 times a day it is totally necessary.
6. Cloth Nappies - You have enough to do with a newborn without cleaning cloth nappies, however cloth nappies come in handy as spew/spit up towels. Get the white ones so you can clean easily with stain remover.
7. Born with Style Moses Basket - Lulu slept in her purple pram in our room in the beginning, but the sides of the pram aren't all that deep so for this baby who moves constantly in my belly, I've splurged and bought this moses basket from Novita Gifts.
Alice Springs residents will be happy to know that most of these things can be purchased locally at Novita Gifts and/or Target. Shop local!