Paella would have to be one of Nick's favourite meals. It has always seemed a little intimidating to make so we've never attempted it, but last week the Coles catalogue included a simple recipe for Paella. We tried it out & found it to be a winner. We modified the recipe a little, adding peas & seafood & more chorizo. It could use a little more flavour, so we'll look at modifying the recipe even further in the future. Now that we've started with this recipe, it'll be easy to graduate to more complicated ones or stick with this one because it works. See our modified recipe below.
4 cups water
Small pinch of saffron threads
1 tsp olive oil
2 chicken drumsticks
2 chorizo, cut into thin strips
½ medium brown onion, finely chopped
1 medium red capsicum
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 cups medium grain rice
1 truss tomato seeded, cut into small dice
½ cup frozen peas
400g seafood marinara mix or combination of mussels, prawns, white fish & calamari
· Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius or 180 fan forced
· In a large saucepan heat water, turn off heat and add saffron
· Place large frying pan, wok or paella pan over high heat and add oil. Once oil is hot add chicken and brown on all sides, for about 5 mins. Remove chicken from pan, reduce heat to medium high and return pan to the heat.
· Add chorizo and cook for 2 mins or until browned. Reduce the heat to medium and cook onion, capsicum, garlic and smoked paprika for 3 minutes or until softened.
· Stir in rice and cook for about 2 minutes or until the pan is dry and the rice is coated with oil.
· Add warmed saffron water to the pan and stir to evenly combine. Add the chicken back to the pan, arranging in a single layer, evenly spaced and bring to a simmer over high heat.
· Once pan comes to a full simmer, remove from heat, sprinkle with tomato, add peas and seafood marinara. Season with salt and pepper. Place in oven and cook, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. A sign of a good paella is crisp rice around the sides of the pan.
· Stand for a few minutes before serving.